Wednesday, April 13, 2011

More M and Ms -- More on Montgomery and Mobile

Since I have begun to discuss my time in Alabama, I will stay on this discussion. I arrived in Montgomery first, on September 10, 2011. I enjoyed pleasant meals at The Olive Room, dinner on the 10th, pictured above, and then breakfast the next day at Shashyn's:



The meal pictured is eggs over fried green tomatoes, something I sampled for the first time when I came to the South.

I followed this up by an educational experience at The Rosa Parks Museum:





 I learned a lot I had never known before. I didn't know that Dr. King had not sought an end to segregation. I hadn't known that Rosa Parks was chosen carefully for her situation to be publicized, and all that went before that. History really came alive for me at the museum. A must see when in Montgomery!

I followed this up with a trip to the Hank Williams Museum:



This was not as exciting for me, because I didn't, and still don't know a lot about the elder Hank Williams, but judging by what was their, people more familiar with his work are sure to love it!

On my way to the Capitol Building tour, I had iced tea at at Chris's Famous Hot Dogs:


Followed by a meal at Winzell's Oyster House:



Witty sayings are strewn about the place:


And the food was scrumptious, too:


I could go on forever about Montgomery, talking about its rich history, but this blog entry would be unwieldy. There is so much to see. History buffs needs to take a trip to Montgomery, Alabama.

No comments:

Post a Comment