Monday, May 2, 2011

Historic Tarrytown/Sleepy Hollow

A beautiful, historic area, not far from my home in the Bronx, is the Tarrytown/Sleepy Hollow district. Last year, I visited Sunnyside, a home of author Washington Irving -- very pretty. Afterwards, I had iced tea at Silver Tips Tea Room, and was so positively impressed, I returned there yesterday. Here is their link:

http://www.silvertipstea.com/fusionecommerce/browse/

They serve many, many different types of tea. The tea I had was a fruity blend that was very pleasant to the senses. They also serve food, and although I haven't sampled it yet, I am predicting that will change in the near future. Their menu is online, and includes multiple salads and sandwitches which fit into my dietary needs.

My actual lunch -- my meal out for the week -- was at The Horseman Restaurant and Pizza in Sleepy Hollow. I had the Turkey Cobb Wrap, substituting mashed potatoes for the tortilla chips (I have been having too many tortilla chips in my recent Mexican meals, and wanted to change that), and grilled chicken for the turkey, as they had no turket remaining. Absolutely scrumptious, and very reasonably priced! The restaurant was PACKED on this lovely Sunday, spring day, demonstrating that many share my appreciation for the establishment, which I have frequented on more than one occasion. In addition to the wrap I had, the restaurant has a number of tempting salads and breakfast meals I may try on future visits to the restaurant. Unfortunately, they have no website, or I would provide it, but I called in advance to ask about their menu, and received friendly suggestions. Obviously, having been to the restaurant more than once, I would recommend it!

But the area is hardly about food! There are several historic, beautiful mansions, in addition to the aforementioned Sunnyside. Among others, there is the Rockerfeller estate, Kykuit, which I plan to visit. I have also enjoyed peaceful hiking in The Rockerfeller Preserve, and the town of Tarrytown is pleasant for walking, with its beautiful views of the Tappan Zee Bridge and surrounding waters.

Getting back to my weekend trip, yesterday, I sampled the gift shop, Bella's Boutique. I am not as interested in the jewelry or flowers that some might be, but this store had a great deal more than that, including some cute games and interesting books. I'd highly recommend this store, and I also enjoyed A N U Toy Store, for similar reasons. Here are the links:

http://www.bellasboutique.com/Bellas_Boutique/Home.html

http://www.anutoystore.com/

There are a number of similar shops in the area, including clothing shops and stores with antiques.

My final stop was at Horsefeathers for some hot tea, sitting in their outside seating area, gazing at the beautiful sites. The staff was friendly, and, having perused the menu, there is a strong possibility I will return for a meal. While technically a tavern with a bar area -- a type of establishment I usually tend to avoid -- the establishment has separate, restaurant seating, and I observed families with young children eating outside where I enjoyed my tea.

You can't go wrong visiting the Tarrytown/Sleepy Hollow area. Many tastes can be satisfied, and I have gone to the area for many different reasons. You're sure to enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment